Color Hardened Concrete Paving with Sand Finish
SECTION : COLOR HARDENED & LIGHTLY SANDED ARCHITECTURAL CONCRETE PAVING
The Contractor for Color Hardened and Lightly Sanded Architectural concrete paving shall provide conclusive proof that he is qualified to install decorative architectural color hardened paving products. The approved contractor must prove he has previously produced color hardened architectural paving and can comply with the provisions specified herein and shown on the plans. Proof shall be in three high quality installations, similar in scope to that specified herein, and located within a 50-mile radius of the specified City. Evidence that the Contractor is qualified to comply with the requirements specified herein shall be submitted to and be subject to the approval of the Engineer, Architect, and / or Owner.
NOTE: BAC – Color Hardened Paving shall be:
The work provided by the contractor shall include:
- Materials: concrete, color hardener, reinforcement, curing compound, sanded finish.
- Provide special Color Hardener.
- Place concrete topping slab
- Place BAC custom concrete Color Hardener with special additive.
- Apply a smooth hard-trowel finish.
- Apply curing compound.
- Saw Cut 1/8”+/- x 1/8”+/- crack control joints and pattern saw cuts.
- Apply a Lightly Sanded Final Finish to specified Atrium Highlight areas.
- Apply several coats of penetrating & Final Acrylic Sealers with Burnishing.
Concrete shall be a maximum 1″ low shrink Rock mix, have a minimum compressive strength of 3000 psi. and be 4” inches thick. Portland cement shall conform to ASTM C 150, Type I, II, or IV. Mix water shall be fresh, clean and potable. An air-entraining agent conforming to ASTM C260 and/or a normal set or retarded-set water reducing admixture conforming to ASTM C 494 may be used. Tetraguard additive by Master Builders is also required. Calcium chloride shall not be permitted in the mix.
Reinforcement shall be: #3 Steel Rebar @ 18” on center each way – single lift.
Color shall be ready-to-use, dry-shake custom BAC – Custom color hardener and shall be streak-free integration of pigments, surface conditioning and dispersing agents and Portland cement blended with hard graded aggregates, as manufactured by the Bomanite Corp. Madera, Ca., or QC Construction Products, Madera, Ca. along with a special Silica Carbide additive.
The color hardener shall be:
1) BAC – Custom
Curing compound complying with ASTM C 309 shall be used as a curing membrane and shall conform to all applicable air pollution regulations.
Installation shall be as follows:
- The concrete mix shall be placed, screeded to the proper grade and wood floated to a uniform surface, in the normal manner.
- Color hardener shall be applied evenly to the plastic surface by the dry-shake method at the rate of 60 pounds per 100 square feet. It shall be applied in two shakes. It should be wood floated after each shake,and smooth hard-troweled after the final floating.
- Curing compound shall be applied.
- Lightly Sand the concrete surface within several days in the specified areas.
- Final finish(s): Acrylic sealer and burnished final sealer.
Custom Color Hardened Architectural concrete paving is to be installed per standards and specification of Bay Area Concretes, Inc., located at 4179 Business Center Dr., Fremont, California 94538.
License #242104. Phone (510) 651-6020 – Michael Price, President